Miriam Kearney-Wright is an Educational Psychologist working with the HSE School Age Team in the Longford/Westmeath area. Miriam is currently completing a Professional Doctorate in Educational Psychology in University College Dublin. Within her private practice, Miriam works with children, adolescents and adults who present with special and diverse needs within the Leinster/Midlands area. Miriam has 10 years experience working as a primary school teacher (mainstream and special education), and has extensive experience working with children and adolescents within varied psychological settings and community services.
Miriam has provided psychological assessments, screening and interventions for students presenting with additional needs, such as, Specific Learning Difficulties, e.g., Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Specific Speech and Language Disorders, Mild and Moderate General learning Disabilities, Social, Emotional and Behavioural disorders, Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Miriam also has extensive experience in the identifcation of primary school accommodations, e.g. Irish exemptions, and with regard to RACE and DARE applications for secondary school students. In addition, Miriam provides anxiety, social skill, self-esteem, and behavioural interventions for children and adolescents, having received formal training in the use of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Miriam also provides in-service training for teachers and Special Needs Assistants on varying educational and behavioural management topics.
Miriam is a member of the NEPS Scheme for the Commissioning of Psychological Assessments (SCPA).
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – City Colleges Dublin – Distinction.
- Master of Arts in Educational Psychology – University College Dublin – First class Honours.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs – St. Angela’s College, Sligo – First class Honours.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology – The Open University – First class Honours.
- Bachelor of Education – St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra – Honours.
- Dyslexia Association of Ireland Training course – Training in evidence based practice and interventions for assisting students with dyslexia.
- Positive Behaviour Support. The Multi-element model (candidate) (The Callan Institute, Dublin). Accreditation at level 8. Awarding body: Dublin Institute of Technology.
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (candidate) (City Colleges, Dublin). Awarding body: The Institute of Commercial Management (ICM).
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule-2 (ADOS-2) Clinical Training – Trinity College Dublin.
- Trained in utilising Picture Exchange Communication Systems (PECS) and TEACCH.
- Trained facilitator of the Friends for Life emotional resilience and anxiety reducing programme.
- Miriam is a member of the following professional bodies and groups;
- Registered member of the Teaching Council.
- Graduate member of the Psychological Society of Ireland.
- Registered member of the Irish Association of Teachers in Special Education
- Registered member and tutor with the Dyslexia Association of Ireland.